How to Save Energy in Winter
Have you noticed the temperature starting to drop? After a blistering summer, the cooler days can come as quite a shock. It can also be a big shock to your wallet when the first winter energy bill comes in. Thankfully, Billy Explores is here to give you some tips on how to save on energy in winter. Prepare now and get ready for those chilly nights!
Winter is Coming – Plan to Restrict Heater Use
This is the biggest and best advice Billy can give. Air conditioners are the biggest energy user in the home, so you’re going to want to keep their usage to a minimum especially during the winter. “But Billy, we just want to be warm and toasty! Don’t tell us to turn the heaters off!”
Come on now, there’s plenty of ways to stay warm without blasting the air conditioner 24/7.
Firstly, here’s a checklist of things to do now save energy – before it gets too cold:
- Check the seals around doors and windows that could let heat out
- Search your house for unused blankets, or even sleeping bags. You can use them on the couch!
- Buy some cheap and comfortable warm clothes to wear around the house of an evening.
- Invest in a hot-water bottle. Use it instead of an electric blanket, or even sit it on your lap when you’re relaxing over some Netflix!
- Do a meal plan for some hearty, warm dinners. Meal planning saves money, but it’s also a great way to have nice, warm soup on hand whenever you’re cold!
What if We Still Need the Heater?
Are you in your comfy, warm pyjamas, under your newly purchased ‘couch blanket’, cuddling a hot water bottle? Still cold? Here’s how to use a heater in a more cost-effective way this winter.
- Keep the thermostat around 22-23 degrees, because the higher the temperature, the more it costs you.
- Close off areas of the house you don’t use, so you’re only heating your living areas
- Keep curtains and blinds closed.
- Try to stay away from cheap, electric heaters because they cost a fortune to run.
Compare Energy Deals and Save!
Finally, if you’re doing everything you can to save energy in winter and your bills are still too high, maybe it’s time to shop around. Billy Explores won’t charge you a cent, but he will compare energy deals from our panel of providers to make sure you’re getting value for money. That’s a sure way to save energy this winter.