NSW Energy Providers: Compare Rates and Cheapest Electricity Plans in NSW
New South Wales has a very strong electricity industry, with more energy providers than you can poke a stick at. When it comes to comparing electricity providers, NSW is the state that offers the most choice.
Think now is the time to switch energy provider in NSW? Or in search of a better deal for your energy bills? We’ve got all the info you need to know right here.
Deregulation in NSW
Deregulation of the NSW electricity industry occurred in July 2014. This meant that energy providers were no longer held to the prices as required by the State Government. You are now able to really compare energy providers in NSW, and can switch electricity provider easier than previously. Many have already switched electricity providers. The benefit for you as a customer is that energy providers now have an incentive to lower their rates, offer special deals and improve their customer service to pick up your business.
In practical terms, as more energy providers enter the market, the better deals we get. Along with the deregulation of the electricity industry and an increase in competition came comparison websites like Billy Explores, offering customers the chance to easily compare electricity providers in NSW, see which provider can service them best. If the thought of Billy keeping a watchful eye on energy bills and isn’t enough to keep an energy company working hard, we don’t know what is!
Compare Electricity Providers in NSW
If you’re looking for to compare electricity providers in NSW, you have a lot of options! Since deregulation, competition has really heated up with energy providers and customers are reaping the benefits of state government rebates.
The energy providers below provide energy to NSW, and they all offer a range of discounts, plans and other incentives to get you on board. Please note services and prices may vary based on your location.
Sumo Energy is an Australian owned provider based in Victoria, and has been in operation since 2015. Sumo Energy pride themselves on providing value to customers and making it easy to deal with them. Plus, they are based locally and create jobs for Australians.
All of Sumo’s plans have no lock-in contracts and are simple to understand. You can also access the Sumo Perks program, which is a loyalty rewards plan with some practical discounts at retailers everyone can take advantage of like JB Hifi, The Good Guys, Coles and Flight Centre to name a few.
Check out how to read the Sumo Energy Bill here.
Energy Australia have a history going back 100 years, previously being known as the NSW Government-owned Sydney Electricity. In 1996 they merged with Orion Energy, and in 2011 TRUenergy purchased them and began using Energy Australia as their Australian retail arm in 2012. They currently have around 1.7 million customers around Australia.
Energy Australia are a leading NSW electricity provider for good reason, including:
- Options for 100% carbon neutral energy.
- Award winning customer service from Canstar Blue and Roy Morgan.
Check out the Energy Australia rates here.
Powershop provide electricity services throughout parts of Eastern Australia, but are moving into gas services too. They offer electricity services and solar options in New South Wales. They offer some standard packages under their Powershop and Powershop Lite banners, and each has a range of tariffs.
Powershop plans have great rates but also offer discounts in the form of allowing you to buy the following Powerpacks. This means you can pretty much buy in advance and enjoy even more savings – how’s that to help the back pocket!
Some reasons to compare your electricity provider in NSW to Powershop:
- Choose to use green energy for a premium, which is sourced from clean power sources like solar and wind.
- Save money by utilising the unique option of buying discounted Powerpacks.
Red Energy offers electricity services in Victoria, South East Queensland, New South Wales and South Australia. Those in New South Wales can also benefit from Red Energy’s great gas plans. Red Energy recently came out on top of a recent 12 month review of key electricity providers in NSW.
They also offer solar plans, but even better than that – they can help you get set up with a Panasonic lithium-ion battery which allows you to store some of the energy your panels generate. This cuts down your reliance on the grid when energy prices are high, as you can access your own power.
Customers can also choose the Greenpower service, with the option to have up to 100% of their energy from renewable sources.
Here are some reasons to choose them:
- Multi award-winning customer service.
- Red Rewards giving extra benefits to customers.
- No lock-in contracts, so you can stay flexible.
- Earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points just for paying your bill on time.
AGL were first known as the Australian Gas Light Company, lit the first ever gas street lamp in Sydney in 1841! With 3.9million customers through Australia, AGL is one of the most popular energy providers.
Why consider AGL?
- They’re focused on green energy services, and in most states you will be able to choose 10%, 20% or 100% of your energy to come from green sources, through their Green-power system.
- 24/7 call centre and online support.
• Committed to phasing out reliance on coal-fired electricity by 2048.
• Earn Flybuys points on payments.
Origin Energy is the largest energy provider in Australia, with over 4.2million customers! They provide a range of services throughout eastern Australia, servicing South Australia, Victoria, ACT, New South Wales and Queensland. They also do solar installs, offer a whole host of solar plans, and even provide solar products like the Tesla Powerwall and the LG Chem.
Why switch electricity provider to Origin Energy?
- GreenPower options for customers to use green sources.
- 24/7 account management tool.
- Easy online sign-up and bonuses for customers moving house.
- Integrated provider, meaning a one-stop-shop for gas, electricity, solar, LPG and even cooling and heating.
- No lock-in contracts or exit fees.
- Committed to a future in green energy sources.
Alinta Energy has over 1million customers across Australia, and offer gas, electricity and solar services in NSW.
Why should you switch electricity provider to Alinta Energy? They own 9 power stations and have their own natural gas pipelines, so prices are kept low!
- Alinta Energy Rewards program gives you a chance to enjoy additional benefits.
- No lock-in contracts. Therefore flexible as standard.
- 2017 Canstar Blue award for most satisfied customers in Queensland. So you know they care!
- Easy to understand plans, and easy to understand bills. Because who wants to struggle over understanding a bill?
PowerDirect offer standing and market contracts for electricity and solar in New South Wales. The also offer some great business plans, if companies wish to simply their power needs and consolidate into one bill.
Why should you your switch electricity provider to PowerDirect?
- Backed by AGL, who have 180 years in the energy business.
• Simple, easy to understand plans. So no worrying about unexpected bills.
• Mixture of standing and market offers.
• Simple online account management.